Hello everyone!! Today I am part of the blog tour for Crowning Soul by Sahira Javaid, which just came out today! Being Muslim and also being friends with Sahira (aka one of the kindest people you can ever know) means that I have been waiting for this book for a longgggg time!!! So I’m excited to review Crowning Soul!! Before I get into my review, though, I thought I’d share the synopsis with you via Goodreads:
Be swept away in this unique fantasy debut from Sahira Javaid. A spellbinding adventure of belonging, finding hope, and where the price of a soul is another soul’s fate. Perfect for fans of InuYasha, Children of Blood and Bone, and The Candle and The Flame.
Nezha Zaman considers her gift to control fire a dangerous secret. A secret that unravels when she encounters a vengeful shadow jinni in a maze garden that has been stalking her family, and knows about her power. Weeks after seeing the demonic being, Nezha is torn from her world through her backyard pond and transported to another dimension which sought out the light inside her heart.
Nezha learns from two unicorns that the dimension is her family’s roots, and the light is a fragment of an angel’s shattered soul. The three must work together to find the soul’s shards in a land teeming with shape-shifting jinn. If Nezha fails to stop the corrupted Iron Prince, the malevolent jinn at his side will shatter her soul next.
And now for my review (ie. a list of reasons why I love Crowning Soul, in no particular order):
- THAT BEAUTIFUL MUSLIM REP LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOO
- THE ARABIC y’all my hearttttttt I saw Arabic on the page (like a transliteration of it) and my heart immediately felt full and happy like wow, that’s my language!!!!! in a YA book!!!!!!
- THE FOODDDDDD bc, to complete that beautiful triad of representation, Sahira added some amazing food references – things my friends, family and/or I eat – and all of it, the Muslim rep, the inclusion of Arabic, the food, it all felt so good and made me so happy to read…..like this is the representation we want !!!!!!!!!!! this is the representation I wish I had growing up !!!!!!!!!
- we love djinn and Crowning Soul has djinn in it so like *heart eyes* everywhere lol
- do you know how many beautiful quotable sentences there are in this book?!?!?! A TON!!!! Sahira’s writing is actually poetic and gorgeous and it made me feel all the things
- going off that writing, her imagery is actually out of this world. I’m serious, this book is like a movie written (which makes sense bc ….books….writing…you get what I mean lol) it was probably the best part of the book ngl bc it felt like I was actually (with) all the characters, feeling what they were feeling, seeing what they were seeing *more heart eyes*
And that’s all I will say without spoilers! Now, how excited are you to read Crowning Soul? Doesn’t it sound amazing!? Let me know in the comments below! Thank you to Siham from Qamar Blog Tours (freakin love that name) for organizing this blog tour! Thanks, have a great day/night and tata for now!!