*this post includes affiliate links I have with Amazon*
Hello everyone! So today I am reviewing Strange The Dreamer* by Laini Taylor! I got an ARC of it about a month-ish ago – I nearly cried when I got it and I probably ran around my room with it 50 times over…..I have video proof lol – and read it near immediately but I thought I’d save the review of it until today when it comes out! Also, stick around until the end to take a look at one of the designs I made inspired by Strange The Dreamer.
Before I get into my (non-spoilery) review, though, I thought I’d say that this review will probably be more fangirly and AHHHHHHHH than anything else lol and here’s the synopsis via Goodreads:
The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around— and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he’s been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance to lose his dream forever.
What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?
The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo’s dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? and if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?
In this sweeping and breathtaking new novel by National Book Award finalist Laini Taylor, author of the New York Times bestselling Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy, the shadow of the past is as real as the ghosts who haunt the citadel of murdered gods. Fall into a mythical world of dread and wonder, moths and nightmares, love and carnage.
Welcome to Weep.
Okay now for the insanity review:
- Plot (A+): Here’s the thing, going into Strange The Dreamer*, you know next to nothing about what’s going to happen and honestly that was one of my favorite things about it. Usually, I hate not knowing what was going to happen but the back of the ARC said:
On the second Sabbat of Twelfthmoon,
in the city of Weep, a girl fell from the sky.
STRANGE THE DREAMER is the story of:
The aftermath of a war between gods and men.
A mysterious city stripped of its name.
A mythic hero with blood on his hands.
A young librarian with a singular dream.
A girl every bit as dangerous as she is in danger.
Alchemy and blood candy,
Nightmares and godspawn,
Moths and monsters,
Friendship and treachery,
Love and carnage.
Welcome to Weep.
- And of course I’m like WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA so yeah I was fine not knowing what exactly I was getting myself into, other than that it would be amazing. And AMAZING it was. It’s spoilery to say the plot – even the beginning events – so I can’t tell you what exactly it is, I can just tell you that it will blow your freaking mind and it’s absolute INSANELY AWESOME. ALSO THERE’S MAGIC INVOLVED (i can tell you that) AND IT’S AMAZING AND OMG PLEASE READ THIS BOOK NOW
- Characters (A+): Okay so ALL the characters in Strange The Dreamer are absolutely AWESOME!!!! And I mean that with all sincerity; there was no one character that I disliked/hated. They were ALL great!!! Like the MC, Lazlo Strange, is a freaking LIBRARIAN for goodness sake! A LIBRARIAN!!!!! OMG! He’s absolutely wonderful and the other characters were just as WOW! Everyone you meet within the book is complex and wonderful and real and ohmygod I wish I could live in the book. It’s just so dang amazing.
- Setting (A+): AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH so I can’t tell you much about setting because saying anything spoils you for the plot so I shall just say this: MY HEAD BECAME A MOVIE THEATRE AND IT WAS ABSOLUTELY CLEAR AND BEAUTIFUL TO SEE EVERYWHERE THE CHARACTERS WENT! It’s just wow. Very much wow.
- Cover (A+): I don’t typically talk about covers when I give my review but I just wanted to take a second to thank whoever illustrated/made this cover because they are a goshdarn amazing person. The cover is absolutely beautiful and swoon-worthy and I thankfully got an ARC wrap with my ARC – I also got really awesome moths made of book paper – marketing team you did fantabulous on this one – as you can see to the right and ugh the wrap and the ARC and the moths are all so absolutely breathtaking and I’m only talking about the US cover! The UK cover is gorgeous too and I’m here like *swoon* *heart eyes* *swoon* *heart eyes* lol Like I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover but if there was any book you should that most with, it would be Strange The Dreamer; it’s beautiful inside and out ❤
Overall, it was an absolutely breathtaking, wonderful, beautiful read and I highly highly HIGHLY suggest buying it and reading it now!!!!!
Like I said before, I’ve been so inspired by Strange The Dreamer* that I’ve already made one graphic design (see left) and have several more I’m working on. If you’re interested in purchasing the design on/as a shirt, phone case, tote bag etc, check out my Red Bubble and Society 6 shops!
Now, how excited are you to read the book? And if you’ve already devoured it, what’d you think (no spoilers though!!!) And lastly thoughts on the cover??? Let me know in the comments below! Thanks, have a great day/night and tata for now!!
*this post includes affiliate links I have with Amazon 😀